Wednesday 17 December 2014

An Etherieal Measure of Time

A finishing carpenter doesn’t truly describe the expertise Sean has. His work is displayed in the numerous million dollar homes around Canmore, and the mountain villas of Alberta and B.C. and equally important in an expert is the ability to put up with a neophyte like myself. I’d missed the wake-up call holding a steaming cup of coffee at my computer anticipating several moments to play as his car pulled up. I watched for several seconds as he moved into gear, there was no warming up, his movement were deliberate, calculated, like the climber he is, his harness was on for a multi pitch day.

The evening before Hal and I had finally read the boxes, all 14 of them piled up in the living room for the last several weeks. Remove the contents for 72 hours prior to installing for the wood to acclimatize……WHAT???? To late the deed had been done.

I’d gone to 7 flooring showrooms in town to check out the stock, quality and learn the business. I knew nothing after 2 weeks on the job. Sure I’d learned that there was a grade to wood depending on how much grain you were interested in seeing names like– Tavern, Junior, Bare – meant you saw it all then there was Mill Rate – where you saw some grain, then there was Best and Select where the grain had been stripped out of the wood.

I felt like I was teaching Biology 30 once again, learning all the variety of trees I’d just seen in Tennessee some of which were being sold here. There was Oak, Ash, Maple, Fir, Cherry, Balsam, Birch, Pine, Walnut, Wedge, Willow, Aspen, Beech, Elm, Poplar, and Sandalwood just to name a few. Did you want prefinished or not, spice, stained or rough matte? Maple alone had 16 choices of color and then you had to decide who to order from there were no fewer than 8 companies within each showroom. It is a labyrinth that only the hearty should tackle.

The hardness scale was simple enough yet the humidity was anyone guess. Between 7 shops not one was consistent on where to set the meter in our home, it ranged from turning it off completely to 50% all year round. Hal and I weren’t interested in opening a conservatory garden just yet. With little time to play around with the dial we choose 25%.

When I brought home the 2 X 3 foot pieces of wood samples to view what was vogue, in style and selling in new homes, again the fashion was as varied as Prentice caucus.  What you brought home didn’t elicit the true color. We were routing for Hickory as it was harder than Prentice integrity yet once seen on a large floor Hick was how we were feeling. So Maple it was – Mill Rate- which meant you saw some grain yet it wasn’t dancing with knots. The charm, class and there lack of in some establishment was pretty consistent, except when it came to Windsor Plywood and Timbertown.

When we finally chose to work with Timbertown the boys knew me by name after my forth visit. Bashful in an unfamiliar environment I meandered around to find the products I needed with superlative advice. Price, quality, service and a smile was what I received. No the wood wasn’t free, yet we felt relatively comfortable until Sean found out the price.

“Man that is expensive they should have given you a better rate.”

“Sean I got the 10 % discount and then bargained for the women’s rate and got another 4 % off, I thought that was pretty good.”

There was always a crux in flooring, the cold air return, the lack of 90 degree angles to a square room, bowed wood, curved wood, and our bodies. That was the hardest crux of all. I was so excited it probably took a good 4 hours prior to comprehending that my spine wasn’t designed to move in this space and shape.

Sean was a professional while he moved along with the airgun hammer thumping nails into the wood, I scurried along like a scandalous politician trying to keep pace placing boards into place. I held a piece of wood between my thumb and forefinger and hammered the wood into place just ahead of Sean. The only problem was that I wasn’t able to run fast enough to find wood lengths whose seam wouldn’t line up with the previous row. I blew it once and the zigzag pattern was visible.

“Kathryn, Dan is going to see this and he won’t be please, tell him you did it”?

“No problem Sean, don’t want to ruin your reputations, mine hasn’t begun, at least not in this industry.”

Secondly, I wasn’t able to find 7 new pieces of wood in time to get back and gently, which is an exercise I had to learn graciously from Sean’s, tap them into place before Sean was upon me. My thumb and forefinger twitched uncontrollably for 3 days after this drill. Massaging it during church service was an indication that things weren’t going well.

Then the questioning began. I’d seen so many you tube video’s I felt I had to comprehend why he wasn’t dragging the gun along the floor as they had shown to conserve energy.

“Kathryn, see this pad on the bottom. I’ve placed it there so the tiny bits are not scratching the floor. If we drag the machine a tiny specks might scratch the floor.”

This became my first and last question. I rested in his expertise, much like a wise courtesan resolves to unravel in the company of great lover.

By late afternoon the curvature of my back was permanently hunched. I texted Hal to come home immediately forgetting the parent that so desperately needed to see him, I was on my last leg. 10 hours with two short breaks did the trick. At 3:00 p.m. when Sean said he had to be gone by 5:30 I looked at the floor and then at him, said nothing and moved.

Sean’s alacrity was still engaged. “Look Kathryn a bird’s eye.”

I looked at the piece of wood without the joy he was showing me.

“Don’t you see, some people seek out these pieces and demand an entire floor made of these?”

Our speed had depleted, the rambunctious conversations had diminished to grunts on my part. He handed me wood, I placed it in and we worked for the remainder of the afternoon in silence.

When Hal did arrive I was overjoyed to teach him what to do, yet he wasn’t picking up the technique and with a mere meter to go to the back wall, it resided in finishing while he lifted the heavy boxes for me and found wood. I would continue hammering yet in his presence there was some relief. His joy and excitement at the final product was jolting me back to reality, as my mind was now wandering to Japanese bath houses, saunas, massages and acupuncture.

Sean left to volunteer firefighting training before we could fully appreciate his work. I fell onto the floor yearning to sob yet my bones were literally too tired to weep. If the notion to do this again ever came upon me regardless how enthusiastic I wouldn’t……find a carpenter…if you can.  

No comments:

Post a Comment