Saturday 13 December 2014

Reintegrating the How To

When I first arrived home there was so much to catch up on, I spent the first week listening to everyone’s summer, wrote like mad to capture the essence of what I had learned in the Deep South, and connected with my family.

Now having been back a month the speed of my days hasn’t slowed down, fears of the year passing by without accomplishing the myriad of learning I would like to do is real. I have learned the most important aspect of each day is the time I spend with God. The more time in his presence the less I am concerned about needing to fulfill unnecessary events. The greatest part of the day I miss sharing with my students is the 5 minutes at the beginning of every class discussing God. After almost a decade of repeating scripture 3-4 times a day it seeps into your being, it become the fabric of who you are. And, the kids proved it, when asked to draw me they all drew the catholic rosary and crosses. All aspects of my classes were based around God, now I am forced to think about it, being present with him throughout my day, consciously seeking his existence and going beyond acts of kindness to acts of daily prayer. Appreciating his wonder in so many areas of my life.

It’s hard for me to be in the present. My students forced me to be with them and now I have to become the compass. I note discipline in so many others around me, they are my guiding light, to slow down, enjoy the moment, knowing it won’t return, a book, a chat, a new skill learned, a new friend is cherished.

Renovations were going to be my metaphor for a novelette I was going to write, and yet they have come and gone and I feel less satisfied as I took them on as a task instead of a time to truly be who I am, my capabilities and the expertise that came from my community. Having an extremely project based personality there are several objects that I set out for myself to accomplish. I know friends are always telling me to relax, yet for me I don’t want to return to work without having this precious time to be with God doing his work.

Every day is a blessing and I want to be with God regardless of where and what I am doing.

That being said, what are my goals?

1.      Catholic Post – twice a week.

2.      Continue with blog – once a week

3.      Write experiences of this year

4.      Creativity work – read – design and work with new professionals

5.      Volunteer – work where it is needed

6.      Travel – allow God to guide me here

7.      Family – reach out to all members with a new perspective on love

8.     Art

No comments:

Post a Comment