Wednesday 31 December 2014

Christmas 1 - December 13th

The family is to bare down on our home on the 13th of December. Could we have gathered on any more of a superstitious day or have fewer stars align in our constellation. Bare down might not seem joyous yet in all families Christmas tension weighs heavy when we yearn for something that might not be, in our power to control the outcome. Weeks prior I began praying fruitlessly as my daily daydreams where filled with nightmares. I recalled not a piece of scripture, a parable. ‘Look for goodness and you will see it, seek mistakes and they will surely arise.” Like a junky I was roll playing every possible scenario -trying to be the heroin that was going to solve it all. In reality I wasn’t looking for the best, only playing out how I would control others. 3 days of attending early morning mass brought this to my attention. And, like all recovering addicts I needed God to realign my fraudulence. When I have been accused of needing God by non-believers I am fervent when I express my crutch for the Lord, my daily dose of reason that I crave, for my mistakes are many.
Epicureanism flows like the Ganges at Christmas in the western world, and our home was no different until a myriad of calls like a spider’s web drained the elements of surprise from the day. It was now sanitized. Like a world that wants to know what they will experience on their travels, the element of the unknown is becoming the norm. Ah…..the joy of satiating new flavors, scents, textures, and sights was gone.   
Yet God always has a way of challenging those with open hearts. I prayed daily prior to the 13th with extra fervency as the day approached trying to rid my need to control and God never disappoints when I release my grip. A Chinese gift exchange, everyone was to bring a gift, or a re-gifted present of $10.00 or less.  12 members of my family jostled over unopened gifts in the living room after a lengthy meal. Hearing the rattling of gifts, laughter, and pure jubilant mirth resonating in the room for long moments still rings in my ears. Nothing could have replaced these precious hours together.
I watched my family, those that had frustrated me, angered me, and loved me for whom I was enjoying one another’s company. There is no gift that can replace this, absolutely nothing. For hours we reminisced about old Christmas’ amongst the hilarity of gravelling to figure out what to steal from one another with these unopened gifts that we were dying to find out what was inside. When the preserved duck eggs where finally revealed, along with the 72% dark chocolate, books, mini growlers, leather covers, and Filipino candy what struck most was the essence of peace we had found in one another.

Christ had arrived in our home mainly in my heart. I hadn’t ruined the day with my necessities. I had allowed the fluidity of a tributary to weave, interweave naturally seeping into crevasses, clefts, and cracks overflowing itself with amity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment